Basic BBQ Chicken
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 cup water
For the Chicken
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for coating the grill
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring until completely incorporated. Reduce the heat to low and gently simmer until the flavors have mingled and the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 30 to 40 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. If not using right away, cover and refrigerate the barbecue sauce for up to 2 weeks
1. Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium (about 350 degrees to 450 degrees) and rub the grates with a bowl dripped in oil. Meanwhile, if you're using chicken breasts (either boneless or bone-in) cut them in half crosswise. Pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towels and place them on a baking sheet. Coat them on all sides with the measured oil, and season with salt and pepper.
2. When the grill is ready, place the chicken on it (skin side down if using skin on), close the grill, and cook until grill marks appear on the bottom of the chicken pieces, about 5 minutes. Flip the chicken over, close the grill, and cook until grill marks appear on the second side, about 5 minutes more.
3. Reserve 1 cup of the barbecue sauce in a separate bowl. Flip the chicken again and brush about a quarter of the remaining sauce on the chicken pieces. Close the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and brush the chicken, and continue to flip and brush every 5 minutes, until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest piece reads 160 to 165 and the meat near the bone is no longer pink, about 10-15 minutes more (about 25 to 30 minutes total cooking time). Remove the chicken to a clean serving platter and serve immediately, passing the reserved bowl of barbecue sauce on the side